Thursday, May 24, 2007

Latter-Day Sainthood

I got some news on the homefront -- my plan for perpetual peanut butter with peanuts grown in my backyard is scuttled. My wife doesn't like peanuts. Instead, it's going to be the traditional backyard garden -- tomatoes, zucchini, lettuce, watermelon, herbs and peppers. Ruth says this is the kind of stuff that grows "fast and in abundance". Not that I know the difference between a garden ho and the ho that walks the streets. I guess I'll have a "fast learning curve".

Believe it or not, other the next week, my wife and I will be on a cruise. I know what you're thinking -- "what a shameful waste of energy!" However, we paid for the cruise over six months ago, before the crisis even hit. My wife and I talked about it...we know there will be no more vacations in a long time for either one of us. The two trips we've paid for are this cruise, and for a Thanksgiving flight to Dallas. After that...probably nothing. Frankly, I'm a bit edgy about leaving the house unguarded, but we'll have some neighbors looking over the ol' homestead.

One of the commenters talked about how people in her area are creating little mini-shuttles, where people in the neighborhood can travel en masse to the city. Oddly enough, I'm understanding that in major cities like New York (and Atlanta), smart individuals are sort of creating an "ad hoc carpool" -- "here's where will be going today, join in!"

And these Good Samaritans are getting flack for it! From taxi drivers, of all people! "You're taking money out of our mouths!" is the call for hack drivers everywhere, and they want the police to get these people off the roads, by God! The Atlanta government has reminded people that in order to run a "livery service" you need to pay for insurance and a medallion. What they haven't done is enforce the law, which has been a relief to just about everyone.

Last night, Georgia Public Broadcasting reran one of their American Experience documentaries about The Mormons. It was a two-parter, where they discussed the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the state of the Church today. It was done before the Oil Crisis, but it discussed the warehouses that the Mormon Church operates.

From what I understand, some Bible verse has been used by the Church to justify the storing of food, water, clothing, generators, etc. etc. in giant warehouses all over Utah and Idaho. As a matter of fact, when Katrina hit, the Mormons were the first ones in New Orleans, breaking out the bounty and sharing it with the suffering in New Orleans. Supposedly, when some kind of end-of-world level financial crisis, they'll break out the goods and hand them out to Church members so that the Church can survive.

Oddly enough, this has resulted in a surge of interest in joining the Mormon faith. I suppose that this rush to religion is motivated by entirely material reasons. As for what's going on in Utah right now, I haven't been following very closely. The Church is certainly not going to give in to any pressure to share the wealth with non-members. Whether or not gangs of Mad Max raiders are driving a burned-out bus to Utah for a wave of looting and rapine, only to be met by a squadron of blond-haired, blue-eyed 24-year old Elders all armed to the teeth is a scenario to be feared in the near future is beyond rational prediction. Right now, I haven't become desperate enough to join a Church for those reasons, or even any reasons.

My wife says we have a heat pump and we can make it through the winter. It doesn't snow in Atlanta. Me, I'm not so sure. The future can't be predicted. I'll take one last cruise and then return to whatever reality faces me here.

By the way: Angels and Giants in the Series. Series is tied at 1-1.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think taking your cruise is decadent- I think it's smart. You've already paid for it! And you're right, vacations are going to be hard to come by after our preplanned activities are over. So go, have a fantastic time, and take lots of photos for us. ENJOY THE MOMENT.

It occurred to me that there might be some unrest in areas that aren't doing well, when people found out about the "store 1 year of food" practice that a lot of Mormons take seriously. I hadn't expected the opposite reaction, of people joining up to get a piece of the action! That never occurred to me... not that I'll join the masses, but it's interesting.

Keep the faith!

James said...

Thanks. I don't know if my photos will be ready for my first post, but I'll have something up.

I figure most people won't resolve to violence if there is a non-violent way to get something: however, "non-violent" can easily translate to "deceit" or "burglary" as well as "cooperation".